Swinstead Landing Ground History

RFC Swinstead Landing Ground
(Map edited to show runways)
RFC/RAF Roundal
Airfield Code:N/AGoogle Earth Co-ordinates:
52°47'03.61"N  0°29'56.19"W
1 x 730 yards & 1 x 600 yards
Station History

Swinstead was an unlit class 1 Landing Ground, situated 0.8 km SW of Swinstead Church. The Landing Ground contained two grass strips, one measuring 730 yards, and the other 600 yards. In total, Swinstead LG covered 64 acres of previously used farm land.

The LG was opened in September 1916, with a detachment from No.38 (Home Defence) Squadron moving in immediately, operating the Royal Aircraft Factory BE.2 and FE.2. The detachment stayed at the LG until May 1918. Then in August 1918, another detachment, this time from No.90 (Home Defence) Squadron moved in bringing with them the Avro 504NF. No.90 Sqn stayed until June 1919, and the LG was closed immediately after.

After the LG closed the land was returned to farm land which is still its use today, and there are no signs of its former use.

Aircraft and Squadrons
September 1916Landing Ground opened.
September 1916No.38 Sqn (Detachment)No.38 Sqn left the Landing Ground in May 1918.
August 1918No.90 Sqn (Detachment)No.90 Sqn left the Landing Ground in June 1919.
June 1919Landing Ground closed.