Fulbeck Airfield History

RAF Fulbeck Airfield
(Map edited to show runways)
Bomber Command Crest
© Crown Copyright/MOD 2010
Airfield Code: ?Google Earth Co-ordinates:
53° 2'57.67"N  0°39'36.65"W
Runways:
12/30 & 18/36 4200ft x 150ft - 05/23 6000ft x 150ft
Station History

Fulbeck was sited three mile west of the village of Fulbeck Felton and Stragglethorpe The area was first used in 1940 as a grass-surfaced Relief Landing Ground for aircraft from Cranwell operating from Barkston Heath. It was developed into a Class 'A' bomber airfield for 5 Group, during 1942. In October that year, 5 Group's Air Bomber Training Flight arrived, although it would be December 1942 before the airfield was deemed to be operational. However no front-line squadrons were allocated to the station and it reverted back to Cranwell for night flying training. A further RAF training unit arrived in May 1943, 1506 Blind Approach Training (BAT) Flight, which stayed until August 1943 when Fulbeck was transferred to the Americans, becoming Station 488.

The airfield was initially used by the 434th TCG, who arrived on 7th October, being later replaced by the 422nd TCG who arrived between 27-29th March 1944. On 11th September, the 440th TCG arrived from Exeter to take part in Operation Market Garden.

The airfield was returned to the RAF towards the end of September 1944 and was reallocated to 5 Group. On 16th October, No.49 Squadron arrived from Fiskerton with their Lancasters, to be joined on 2nd November by No.189 Squadron, formed at Bardney on 15th October. Both squadrons left Fulbeck in April 1945, No.189 Squadron to Bardney on 8th April followed by No.49 Squadron to Syerston, Nottinghamshire, on the 22nd April. Following the end of the war, Fulbeck was retained as an active station, initially involved with equipment disposal and latterly, as a RLG for Cranwell, until closure in 1970.

Most of the perimeter track still exists as do parts of the runways. The dispersed communal and accommodation sites were located to the east, along the Fulbeck road and some of these still remain. Outside the former main entrance there is a memorial to 'All Who Flew From RAF Fulbeck', erected in 1988.

Aircraft and Squadrons
DateSquadronNotes
1940Land requisitioned for use as a relief landing ground for RAF Cranwell.
February 1942Officially opened as RAF Fulbeck.
August 1943RAF transfer control of the station the the USAF.
October 1943434th TCG USAFOperating the Douglas C-47 Skytrain. Left Fulbeck in December 1943.
March 1944442nd TCG USAFOperating the Douglas C-47; 53 Skytrain. Left Fulbeck in June 1944.
August 1944440th TCG USAFOperating the Douglas C-47 Skytrain. Left Fulbeck in September 1944.
October 1944USAF transfer control of the station back to the RAF.
October 1944No.49 SqnOperating the Avro Lancaster. Left Fulbeck in April 1945.
November 1944No.189 SqnOperating the Avro Lancaster. Left Fulbeck in April 1945.
April 1945No.255 MUThe Maintenance Unit left Fulbeck in June 1948.
June 1945RAF Fulbeck ceases flying and is put on care and maintenance.
June 1948No.93 MUThe Maintenance Unit left Fulbeck in 1952.
1970RAF Fulbeck closed.